Friday, July 31, 2009

Free Stuff Day

This morning started at the very pleasant hour of 9:30. It was a much appreciated change from yesterdays 7am start. We began with presentations from the various sponsors of our 'Free Stuff'. We heard from MD Financial (the financial services arm of the Alberta/Canadian Medical Association), National Bank, Scotia Bank, the Library, and we finished with a scintillating presentation (I only fell asleep three times) about Stethoscopes. We then got to go to the various booths and collect swag - pens, hand sanitizer, candy, note books, knee hammers, backpacks, etc. So all in all the morning was quite informative.

Following the swag collecting I went and purchased my first stethoscope, likely to become my constant friend and companion. As such, I am now the proud owner of a 'burgundy' Cardiology 3 stethoscope...believe it or not I do not feel endowed with any magical powers yet but I'm hoping they come. I have yet to listen through the 'scope but I'd imagine I'll hear a number of sounds that will have absolutely no meaning to my untrained ear...but that will come. When I described my stethoscope as being 'ketchup coloured' one of my classmates decided that coagulated blood was a more accurate colour. I'm not sure how reassuring a patient would find the description of a 'coagulated blood coloured stethoscope'. I might have to stick with red.

The focus of the afternoon's sessions was professionalism. We had a brief lecture about successful and professional students - a bit heavier than the warm welcomes we'd received earlier in the week. In fact, we heard about consequences and 'bad stuff' however, no one ran out crying so I guess we all survived. We then divided into small groups to continue a case based discussion of professionalism. We were reminded that we have now entered a profession. We may be in the larval stages but we are the lowest rung on the ladder of doctor-hood, and as such we have entered into a social contract that requires us to act in a certain fashion. That being said most of it seems like common sense and good behaviour so hopefully none of us get caught in any pitfalls.

We were told the ABC's of successful medical students -
A- Active learning
B- Balance
C- Cultivate Humility
D-Diligence
E- Ethical Behavior

According to this guide I need to make sure to eat some more vegetables than I have the last couple weeks and my days of procrastination, however only 3 years will tell.

My peers seem like a fantastic bunch of people and we are all glad to have put the process of applpication behind us. We commiserated today for all those in the position of applying to medical school. From this side it is something we are VERY glad to have put behind us. For those who haven't applied or who will be starting this fall, good luck, when you start med school it will still be painful, but it will be worth it.

We are done for the week now and I'm quite looking forward to a weekend with healthy amounts of sleep. I know that this isn't even a sample of a real week at school but I think sleep is going to become an even more precious commodity. So, the sun is shining and I'm going to find some groceries...preferably something green and crunchy.

Also, I hope to post some pictures of Dr. to be Lewis before too long, I now have a hospital ID, I'll be getting a white coat on Tuesday, and I have a stethoscope so watch out...I'll be the best dressed 'doctor' around come Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. So many things to say!
    1. KNEE HAMMER!! AMAZING!!!
    2. I'm so glad you have this blog. It makes me feel excited about the application process, even though it is not happening for me until next year.
    3. You are wonderful and I am so happy we are friends. Knock 'em dead and I will see you in a month!

    ReplyDelete