Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wish Me Luck

Good Evening from Calgary. This is just a very brief post to request your good vibes and happy thoughts tomorrow. Why you might ask? Well, tomorrow is my first certifying examination for which I feel quite under prepared. That begs the question of why I'm creating a blog posting instead of studying. At this point I'm wondering if perhaps good luck thoughts from around the globe might be more productive than further review of a multitude of acronyms. Probably not but that is what I'm telling you.

To give you a taste of the things I'm trying to keep sorted I'll give you a small list. However, I'll start with one key acronym - MPL. This refers to the minimum pass level. This is the mark (which will be determined after the test but is usually around 65%) that you have to achieve to be considered competent and not have to resit the examination next summer. So of all the acronmyms I care about at this point in time the MPL is the most important one.

Some other acronyms of note include: TTP, HUS, CML, CLL, ALL, AML, DIC, Plt, Hb, DDAVP, ET, PRV, PCR, HBA, HBV, HBC, antiHBs, HBsAg, IgG, IgM, IgE, HEELP, ALP, ALT, AST, MFD, MFS, DVT, PE, ALF, PJP, NHS, EtOH, MAHA, AIHA, CMV, HSV, HZ, HIV, RBC, WBC, A1AT, PK, G6PD, TPN, TPA, TIPS, ITP, and the list goes on.

However, I'd best continue studying. Tomorrow I write the first part of the exam (1pm-4pm MDT, worth 80%). Then on Friday from 12:30-1:50 I write the second part which is based in the lab and on identification of blood smears, pathological specimens, and anatomy based on cadavers which is worth 20%. With that I will wrap up the first course of medical school and be ready to move on to our next course which is the Musculoskeletal System and Skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment