Friday, July 30, 2010

Wrapping Up

Well, the time here in Donkorkrom is wrapping up. I'll be departing Wednesday morning which means I have only three days of work left at the hospital. The time has absolutely flown by. I've done some of the things on my 'to do list' and missed some. This past week has gone by very quickly but nothing with a major 'gross' or 'exciting' factor has occurred. We have kept busy with the inpatients and then the outpatients which is always busy at the end of the week because people come to the market days (Wed, Thurs) from the outlying communities.
I thought I'd just upload a couple pic
tures to give you a bit of a taste of my life the last
couple weeks.

The little school kids in the first picture watched me wait for my breakfast one morning. I would get an omelet and wait while the fellow cooked it on a little charcoal grill. They were very happy to have their picture taken.

I ordered 'formal' Ghanian wear and had it made up this week. According to all the Ghanians who have seen me in my outfit I look just smashing.

The waterfall below is the Wli (pronounced
something like 'Vlee') where I went last weekend.
This is just the lower falls, there is
another fall above.

On the way to the
falls we passed a sort of cocoa plantation - the cocoa trees were just mixed in with the forest. Then as we got closer to the falls we'd occasionally see cocoa trees, wild I think that were growing wild. The cocoa seeds are in the pods you can see growing along the trunk of the tree.

The shot below shows the falls from the village where we spent the night. The quality of the photo is lower to get it uploaded but you can sort of make out the waterfall. There was a beautiful little guest house run by a Ghanian couple who have traveled extensively. The proprietors were friendly, the food excellent, and the rooms very comfortable. These little mud huts are ubiquitous throughout rural Ghana.







This final pictures hows us in the consulting room after a long day of seeing patients with one of our translators, Evelyn.
I hope you enjoy the pics. Sorry for the rather disorganized state of them - CL

1 comment:

  1. Nice outfit :) and I like the belt in the last pic :) Fun country eh !
    -see ya wednesday in Accra

    ReplyDelete