Monday, May 21, 2012

Into Tea Country

Today I flew from Delhi (temp 42C) to a small city called Bagdogra in West Bengal. Then I took a share jeep (17 of us in a vehicle the size of a smaller 'full size' van) for two hours up into the foothills of the Himalayas. Tonight in Mirik the temperature is 24C and it is feeling downright cold. However, it is a welcome relief from the heat.

This part of India is tea country. I started seeing tea fields as we left the airport and they have continued up into the mountains. The tea is planted among the trees and I'm hoping to go to a plantation tomorrow and learn more about it all...maybe even pick some tea myself.

For now I'm tired after a long day of travel and ready to go to bed. Tomorrow I plan to explore Mirik a little bit and get my first glimpse of Kangchenjunga the third highest mountain in the world.

Yesterday I traveled back from Agra to Delhi and then went to the meeting yesterday evening. It was lovely to have some time with the little group that gathered and then we had supper together afterwards. So refreshing in the heat, dust, and bustle of Delhi.

Hope all is well in your various parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment