Thursday, May 17, 2012

Welcome to Delhi

I arrived safely to my bed in Delhi approximately 0200 Indian Standard Time which is 30 minutes offset from the rear of the world. My flights were long but uneventful once I found a new flight to get on. One thing I noticed immediately upon exiting the airport ( other than the surprisingly dry heat) was the smog and dust. I suspect the rates of lung cancer and asthma and other lung diseases are significantly higher here than in less populated/polluted cities.

I'm staying in a very nice B&B. The lady who runs it is very friendly, upper class, and opinionated. However she is also helpful so it is quite enjoyable staying there. The apartment is very close to the sisters Bach and I plan to meet up with them this afternoon.

First Impressions:
1. So far all the developing world cities I've been in smell the same (they have a particular kind of stink which isn't terrible but not exactly pleasant).
2. Developing world drivers are all slightly crazy.
3. Westerners in general (myself included) are very ignorant about India.
4. I love mangos - we had some mango for breakfast today - they were delicious.
5. I woke up to the sound of wild parrots (or some related species for the ornithologists out there) which means in definitely not in Alberta any more.
6. I'm going to get fleeced left right and centre while I'm here.

Anyways, this morning I've been to a historical site with the tallest stone pillar in India as well as a famous iron pillar. The stone work on Qutab Minar was fantastic as well as over 1000 years old.

After taking the metro to Humayans tomb a stylistic predecessor to the Taj Mahal I wandered in the public gardens for a while. I then met up with the sisters (Olive R and Suseela) for a cup of tea and then McDonalds for dinner. There was no beef on the menu at this Mcdonalds and the flavor of my maharajah Mac was definitely Indian. I then made my way home and crashed for me first good sleep in days.

Today (Friday) I'm off to explore some of old Delhi so I'd better hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment